slackware 8.0 and ppp

rturner2 at texasisp.com rturner2 at texasisp.com
Thu Nov 29 12:12:06 EST 2001

hi adam,
i got that working fine,
i would like to ask you and the group
i tried to compile the alsa drivers 0.5.2
with slackware 8.0,
i am getting an error with the sound.o module,
i have installed soundcore,
i compiled the kernal with sound
but still get errors compiling the alsa-driver.
thanks in advance
randy

On 2001-11-28 speakup at braille.uwo.ca said:
 sp>It depends.  If you use the Speakup boot disk that comes with
 sp>Slackware 8.0, and install its kernel, PPP probably won't work out
 sp>of the box.  This is because whoever compiled it compiled it for
 sp>SMP (symmetric multiprocessing) when all the modules are for
 sp>single-processor machines. This causes a lot of trouble.  There are
 sp>a number of solutions.
 sp>1: Build a new kernel.  The advantage here is you can clean out the
 sp>default modules and install just the ones you need.  You can also
 sp>get rid of other junk and possibly add support for that odd card or
 sp>two. 2: replace the modules with those for 2.2.19 kernels with SMP
 sp>support. They are provided on the Contrib CD.  You would copy the
 sp>modules from the CD over the existing ones for 2.2.19.  The
 sp>advantage of this method is you don't have to rebuild a kernel or
 sp>replace it.
 sp>3: get the modified Speakup boot disk from ftp.linux-speakup.org.
 sp>You would then copy its vmlinuz over your existing one and if you
 sp>use Lilo, rerun it by simply typing "lilo."  The advantage of this
 sp>is that you don't have to replace a whole bunch of files.  I
 sp>suspect that they will have this little issue fixed in the next
 sp>Slackware release.
 sp>I chose initially to install the SMP modules, then I downloaded the
 sp>latest kernel source once I was online and rebuilt.  I think
 sp>rebuilding is a good thing in the long run as you can really cut
 sp>your boot time since the kernel isn't looking for non-existent
 sp>hardware plus, it makes your existing hardware work more reliably.
 sp>Hope this information helps.
 sp>Speakup mailing list
 sp>Speakup at braille.uwo.ca