linux partition

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Fri Nov 23 20:21:56 EST 2001

Hi, Glen:

The term, "D:> Drive" is a Windows/DOS designation and not a linux
designation. Also, odds are great that it's not a drive, but a partition.
Are you certain that it's actually a second drive on your hard disk, and
not just a second partition on your first disk?

To find out, run fdisk. You may need to shutdown to ms dos to run fdisk.
Be careful not to change anything you don't mean to change while running
fdisk. There is a way to run fdisk in observation mode, but I don't recall
how.

Second point ... 200 Mb is not much these days. It's probably enough for
something like zipspeak, and you could probably get a native linux
installation into 200 Mb, but you'd have to work at it, and you'd have to
know what you're doing in linux to make it work out.

If you're running zipspeak, you certainly don't need to repartition. Read
the documentation that comes with zipspeak. It explains that you put it in
a directory and run it from a shutdown to ms dos -- a DOS boot without
Windows, in other words.

If you're trying to get a native install into 200 Mb, don't do it. Do
whatever you need to do to get more space available--at least 1 Gig. Even
if you need to get another hard drive, which can be done for well under
$100 now, you should get more space if you really want to install a
working linux. Of course, you could see about making more space available
on your current system by resizing existing partitions. The linux tool
parted is one that can do that, and can do it accessibly--with speech.

 On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Glenn Ervin
wrote:

> does my d drive, which is dedicated to trying to get linux to work, have to
> be partitioned?
> If so, can I use fdisk to partition it?
> I would rather not partition it if I do not have to do that.
> that drive is 200MB and removable.
>
> Sincerely,
> O. Glenn Ervin-- (Lenny) N0YJV
> Northeast Nebraska
> gervin at kdsi.net
> or My Work e-mail:
> gervin at ncbvi.state.ne.us

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp