cd burners that work off the printer port

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Fri Nov 23 16:08:16 EST 2001

Hi
   I have a microsolutions Backpack parallel port cd writer which works well with linux. As long as you have kernel 2.4.5 or later, you have kernel support for this drive. The only disadvantage to any external CDR drives is that tha max write speed you'll get is 4X. If you can't upgrade your kernel, you could give microsolutions binary drivers a shot, but in my experience they don't work as well as the new kernel driver does, and they're not always the easiest things to load, because most likely they will not match your kernel. If you're lucky you may be able to get them loaded without unresolved module symbols. So if you do get this drive, try for the kernel upgrade.

All that being said, it works well with cdrecord and cdrdao once you've got it configured. In cdrdao, however, you need to increase the buffers to 64 if you want to write at 4X. Cdrecord doesn't seem to have this problem.

HTH