ot, network neighborhood under win 95osr2 and samba

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Fri Nov 23 14:46:11 EST 2001

Hi all,

I've got this weird problem, and wonder if anyone else had it, and if so, how did you fix it?
The problem is as follows. I've got a win95osr2 machine with it's networking properly configured
(I know it is properly configured because I've got the same configuration on 2 other win98 machines that work fine).
The only protocal on this machine like on the 2 others is tcp/ip.
When I go into network neighborhood on this win95 machine, no computers appear (not even the  the machine itself).
If I try to look for my samba server machine with find computer, it isn't found.
If I then go and install netbui on the client, it shows up, but I still don't see my samba server (since it only uses tcp/ip).

Let me note that my network connection is fine. I can ping, telnet, access the net, ETC.
Does anyone know why I can't browse the network on this win95 client using tcp/ip?
Thanks for any help in advance, and please ask if you need more details.
Greg

P.S. Before installling netbui, entire network is also not browseable. In addition, if I go to run, and type \\servername\share
where servername is my samba server's name, and share is an accessiable share on that server, I get a diaoluge from windows explorrer saying that folder \\servername\share doesn't exist.