Getting Started

Thomas Ward tward at bright.net
Wed Nov 21 22:11:44 EST 2001

MessageHi, Rodney. At the time only hardware synths are supported, and for many reasons they have always been more supirior to software synths anyway.
You can get a Double Talk PC or LT for less than $300.00 which is pretty fare for the proformence you get. Personally, I suggest the Double Talk LT because of it's portability, and can be easily taken from computer to computer.
If memory serves me TVI, www.tvi-web.com, has the best prices on hardware synths.
As for being a web server Linux does that pretty awesome. In fact  I use an internal Linux web server with Apache to test and develope web sites before they are actually posted to whoever's  server they will be going on.
Ok, as for making kernels that isn't as bad as it sounds. In short you just download the latest speakup source, and the latest kernel 2.4.x kernel, and patch it with the install script.
Then, you would run a make config. Basically, it is a series of questions on processor type, hard drive controlers, floppy controlers, network cards, sound cards, and that kind of thing.Once done you can easily type a line like this.

make dep ; make clean ; make modules ; make bzImage
Then, once compiled you can type,
make modules_install ; make install

Make sure that after installing your new kernel that you have configured your boot loaders conf file to reflect the new kernel version.
If using lilo the file is:
/etc/lilo.conf
If using grub, which I like better, the file is:
/etc/grub.conf

.
Compiling and installing new kernels isn't as terrible as it sounds. In short you run make config, and