micq

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Sat Nov 10 16:45:03 EST 2001

Hi Randy,
Yes, Mirabilis is the culprit. They have upgraded their protocol and have
introduced incompatibilities with all earlier software. Windows users are
expected to upgrade to ICQ2000, but Linux users are out of luck until the
developers can figure out the new protocol and upgrade the several client
programs. There are four Linux ICQ packages I know about, and from their
mailing lists, all but one is having the same problem. The one that has
already implemented the new protocol unfortunately is a GUI package only,
so it does not help speech users.

Mirabilis says there are no Linux clients for ICQ, and Windows users can
upgrade free, so - case closed!

Chuck