ot, networking a scanner

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Fri Nov 9 18:02:46 EST 2001

Only reason I can think of for networking a scanner is to give access to
several users at different workstations. Still, they would have to put the
source document on the scanner in person, so such a function becomes a
matter of having the scan results output to a different /home/$USER
directory.

HP actually makes such a device/application--Windows only, and
inaccessible software (regretably).

In the question at hand, are you wanting to have the option to use either
a Win or a Linux ocr app? If so, it might be possible to use Wine for
this. I read the Wine docs and have tweaked a few config files in
preparation for some experimentation like that, but have not yet tried
because of some X problems. It does seem that wine should work, though.
Just maybe there is going to be a gpl answer to VMware.
 On Fri, 9 Nov
2001, Kirk Wood wrote:

> Well, in many ways this can be quite easy. Scan the image and save it so a
> file in a SAMBA available directory. But if you are wanting to actually
> control the scaner I would look at freshmeat.net to see what is found
> there. Good luck, I doubt it.
>
> If you really want a networked scanner I expect you would need to buy
> one. But for the life of me, I don't understand how this would be useful
> beyond the solution of saving a file on a network available location,
> unless you happen to have a sheet fed scanner and were scanning a document
> of multiple pages.
>
> =======
> Kirk Wood
> Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net
>
> "When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missle at
> a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive."
> 	- President George Bush

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp