invalid block device

Scott Howell n3byy at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 16:25:54 EDT 2000

Well I can't say what is going on, but perhaps someone will know what has
happend.<G>
I can't mount floppies or cdroms. I keep getting for example, /dev/hdd is an
invalid block device.

I have both floppy support and ide cdrom support compiled as modules. I am
certain they are loading, but of course will double check to be sure I
didn't miss something.
btw, silly question, but could Linux give an improper indication of memory?
I get upon bootup that I only have 64mb of ram when there is 128mb ram in
the box.
I am sure this is some bios configuration problem that I havent' been able
to track down, but just want to cover all bases.
oh, its an ami bios if that makes any difference. Motherboard is new, like a
week or so old.

tnx