rvkassen at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 3 23:44:36 EDT 2000
Thanks for the encouragement.
This is my plan, but I have to learn a few things first:
1. How do I tell the kernel that I have a 3com 3c905b 10/100mb ethernet
2. I know that alsa will give me the sound support I need and I know that
my sound card is supported, but I don't know if I have all the pieces I need
to get it up and running.
3. There is a minor issue of Video, but for the moment, linux seems not to
care what my video card is. I suppose it would be different if I was doing
graphics (not likely unless I think about running x-windows).
4. How do I get the internet configured, and how do I start receiving
email? It looks like there are many docs I need to read before I get
started, but I am somewhat impatient and want to start experimenting.
5. I have no kernel compilation experience. I downloaded what I think is a
kernel source from kerneli.org, but I'm afraid this is a new one for me - I
don't have a clue what I am looking at. Do you know of a good kernel
6. Where is a good place to find applications. I downloaded mp123 (?) from
a site that I can't remember now. Someone mentioned cdcd, where do I find
this? Anyway, I won't ramble on like this - any help you could give would
P.S. I see your .au email address? Are you from Australia? What part?
Thanks a bunch!
From: speakup-admin at braille.uwo.ca
[mailto:speakup-admin at braille.uwo.ca]On Behalf Of Geoff Shang
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2000 12:55 AM
To: speakup at braille.uwo.ca
Subject: RE: another newbie
If I were you, I'd recompile the kernel to get your hardware
supported. Since you are a hardware expert, this shouldn't present any
major difficulties. Grab a kernel source from the kernel 2.2 tree at
ftp.kernal.org, get the patch from
ftp.braille.uwo.ca/pub/linux/speakup/speakup-0.08.tar.gz and go for it.
Speakup mailing list
Speakup at braille.uwo.ca
More information about the Speakup