talkwith vs speak-with messages language

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Tue Jan 12 17:11:30 EST 2021

Le 12/01/2021 à 01:10, Samuel Thibault a écrit :
> Is this supposed to completely replace talkwith?

Yes. Caveat not exactly a drop-in replacement as it has
a wider scope.

> Please see with talkwith users whether their needs are fullfilled by
> this.  I don't think we want to maintain two tools doing the same thing.

I asked on the Slint mailing list. I don't know how to ask to
other users.

>> 		sh /etc/rc.d/rc.espeakup start
>> 		sleep 1
>> 		printf "Should espeakup be also started at next boot? [Y/n] "
>> 		read ANSWER
>
> So is this supposed to be only run interactively by users, and never by
> scripts?

This is supposed to be run interactively by users if and when they want
to switch to/from:
- no speech
- speech with fenrir
- speech with espeakup
- speech with speechd-up
- speech with speakup using one of the available synthesizers
Only available options are presented

>> 			chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.espeakup
>> 			chmod 644 /etc/rc.d/rc.speechd-up
>
> This seems slint-specific.

It is. these commands should be replaced if another init system.

This shouldn't be difficult, but I have zero experience with other init
systems

Cheers, Didier