So, where'd the volume controls get to?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Mon Oct 12 00:53:52 EDT 2020

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 09:36:36PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Would you be able to try the attached patch?

I can confirm that Samuel's patch fixes the issue so that speakup+1
and speakup+2 controls volume again.

Since I feel that volume control on the fly is fairly critical, I've
decided to release my kernel build. The debian packages were built for
a devuan Beowulf system, and should work on debian buster. This kernel
should boot on most if not all x86_64 systems. There are modules for a
variety of SATA controllers, and file systems. The debian packages
aren't signed, and the kernel isn't signed either which your UEFI
and/or boot loader might not like. If any of this makes you
uncomfortable, wait for the fix to make it to where ever you get your
kernel updates from, or build your own kernel with the patch (the www
is your friend).

For those who don't want to or can't install debian packages, the
amd64_binaries directory has binaries for the kernel, modules, and
headers. If installing this kernel breaks your system in any way, you
get to keep all the pieces.

You can find all of this at:

<https://www.gregn.net/linux-5.8.14/>

Greg