Crash when specifying non-existent serial port in speakup / tty_kopen

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Nov 4 15:13:23 EST 2020

Hello,

Matthias Reichl, le mer. 04 nov. 2020 15:57:37 +0100, a ecrit:
> I initially noticed this oops on x86_64 running kernel 5.4.59 when
> I accidentally mistyped "ttyS0" as "ttyS9":
>
> modprobe speakup_dummy dev=ttyS9

> [   49.978481] tty_init_dev: ttyS driver does not set tty->port. This would crash the kernel. Fix the driver!

This looks like only a warning, did it actually crash?

> the missing tty->port is quite fatal.

It is fatal for module insertion yes (EINVAL) but IIRC that should be
getting handled properly, making modprobe return the error?

> It looks like spk_ttyio or tty_dev_name_to_number() / tty_kopen()
> should perform some additional validation,

spk_ttyio_initialise_ldisc only has a dev_t so can't do much beyond
calling tty_kopen.

tty_kopen is getting the index from the tty_lookup_driver call (actually
get_tty_driver which uses p->minor_start and p->num) and passes it to
tty_driver_lookup_tty. Perhaps in addition of p->num the driver should
have another field to set, that tty_init_dev could use to reject with
ENODEV indexes beyond what the driver actually provides?

> I couldn't make the kernel warn/crash yet by specifying non-existent
> ttyUSB ports yet though.

That's probably because in the ttyUSB case the device allocation is
dynamic and made exactly according to the number of actual devices,
while for ttyS* there is a large overcommit of minor values.

Samuel