[raspberry-vi] A bit off topic, Speakup and Debian Stretch-Buster (fwd)

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Mon Mar 23 02:00:40 EDT 2020

Samuel wrote:

> Did anybody notice something like this?

Yes, I've been testing devuan 3 beta install isos this past week,
which is based on debian 11. If I
attempt to do the install in a VirtualBox 5.2.38 guest using software
speech, speech goes away right after I get the screen to select the
language, and I try to adjust volume/rate. On my intel core i5 laptop,
the guest just crashes every time, regardless of if I use software or
hardware speech. On a guest running on my ryzen system, the same thing
happens. The difference is I can switch to the second console, press
enter, and modprobing a hardware synth module still works. I suspect
this is possibly related to the 4.19 kernel, and possibly speakup in
that kernel. This is as far as I've been able to investigate so far. I don't
yet know what happens on my ryzen system guest; if espeakup just crashes
and needs to be restarted, or something more serious.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1