[raspberry-vi] A bit off topic, Speakup and Debian Stretch-Buster (fwd)

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Sat Mar 21 17:39:53 EDT 2020

Can someone help this person?
Kare

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 11:55:10 -0500
From: Chris Zenchenko <old78rpm at gmail.com>
To: raspberry-vi at freelists.org
Subject: [raspberry-vi] A bit off topic, Speakup and Debian Stretch-Buster

It appears the old Speakup list is long dead.
After several attempts to get somebody at the Debian accessibility email
address to respond I am putting this question out here hoping somebody knows
what is going on.
Up through Debian Jesse Speakup worked great.
After that no matter what hardware configuration or virtual VM-Ware
configuration I try Speakup won't stay talking for more than a few minutes.
It frequently quits during installation of the OS forcing me to start over
and over and over.
Speech just goes dead.
Log entries are no help since there is no log that survives the aborted
install.
Even once I have a full install I don't know where or what to look for to
tell me why speech died.
It seems to be related to how frequently I cause speech interupts by typing
or stopping speech during long output.
All of my Jesse installs continue to work even after updates but of course
that's starting to drop far behind.
The PI isn't an issue for me since I only ssh in to them but I'd like to be
doing that from a more modern version of Debian if possible.
73