driving a serial synthesizer through speech-dispatcher

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Fri Feb 7 18:02:58 EST 2020

I forgot to add one more thing. The idea of using speechd-up to let
both speakup and gnome-speech use speech-dispatcher is not a bad
one. However, speechd-up was written as a proof of concept, and
doesn't implement full functionality like espeakup does. I suppose I
could look at that code too, and polish it to the level of espeakup,
but I frankly don't feel like it. A different module to drive a
different synth would still be required if speakup didn't do the heavy
lifting, instead of writing just one module.

Greg

On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 09:10:24AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > An even better approach is to use
> > /sys/accessibility/speakup/synth_direct for the speech output. This
> > would use speakup settings in use for the synthesizer. The problem
> > with this is the same as with the cat command; no way to interrupt
> > speech,
>
> Indeed. But there is another approach, which was made for this: using
> /dev/synth. For now that file only supports writing to it to get
> text emitted, but ioctls can be defined to drive it, such as setting
> pitch etc. in a portable way across synthesizers (speakup will handle
> these details), but also interrupting. That all happens in speakup's
> devsynth.c and can be a relatively easy task for kernel hacking
> beginners.
>
> Samuel

web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1