driving a serial synthesizer through speech-dispatcher

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu Feb 6 23:29:43 EST 2020

Right, this would require a speech-dispatcher module file. The thing
I'm not sure about is how to do the serial port I/O from
speech-dispatcher. The speech-dispatcher modules are .conf files, so
maybe the answer would be a separate program to expose the serial port
to speech-dispatcher modules, or a modification to the actual
speech-dispatcher code to do that.

What I like about the synth_direct approach is that speakup already
does the heavy lifting, and speakup and gnome-speech would use
speakup's interface to talk to the synth, which would mean they both
wouldn't be setting parameters and causing a mess. The disadvantage is
it requires speakup to be loaded, which I already use anyway, so it
doesn't bother me personally.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net