driving a serial synthesizer through speech-dispatcher

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu Feb 6 19:01:27 EST 2020

Hi all.

I'm wondering if it's possible to drive a serial synthesizer through
speech-dispatcher? My goal here is to use orca to output to a serial
synthesizer.

While speech-dispatcher itself has no facility a far as I can tell to
communicate through serial ports, something like cat could be used to
send a text of string to the serial port for the synthesizer to
speak. This is crude, and there is no way to interrupt speech until it
completes.

An even better approach is to use
/sys/accessibility/speakup/synth_direct for the speech output. This
would use speakup settings in use for the synthesizer. The problem
with this is the same as with the cat command; no way to interrupt
speech, at least until the todo items in /sys/accessibility/speakup
are resolved, and maybe not even then. Interrupting could probably be
done by sending the silence command for the synthesizer in question to
/sys/accessibility/speakup/synth_direct, to cause the synthesizer to
stop speaking, and flush its buffer. Again, simply invoking speakup's
interrupt command by sending something to
/sys/accessibility/speakup/filename would make this synthesizer
generic.

Has anyone here done what I'm thinking of? If yes, can you please
describe your approach?

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net