8-bit characters in output

Martin McCormick martin.m at suddenlink.net
Sun Dec 27 15:02:20 EST 2020

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:
> Ok, so what happens is that this is invalid utf-8, which the kernel
> turns into U+FFFD characters, which speakup properly passes on to
> espeakup, which gives it to espeak-ng, where it gets completely
> misinterpreted, I have submitted
>
> https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/issues/859
>
> Thanks for the report,
> Samuel

	You are quite welcome.  When I was taking electronics
courses in college, we had to submit lab reports on the
experiments we were assigned and one of the things we were
required to do was to write down the serial numbers and other
identifying information about the test equipment we used that day
to make our measurements.

	At the time, this seemed like extra work until the lab
instructor explained that some times equipment could be
malfunctioning in subtle ways that would influence our results
such as a signal generator which was supposed to give the same
voltage output over it's frequency range but didn't, etc.

	That made perfect sense.  Emagine being handed a meter
stick that was warped badly so was no longer 1 meter in length.
The list of issues could go on forever so I made sure that the
required equipment information was always there.

	In that spirit, I did the "env" command in my Linux bash
shell which runs in a text-based terminal such as /dev/tty0 or
tty1.  I can get you the entire output but the following
variables represent factors that might influence the output.
Here they are:

TERMCAP=SC|linux|VT 100/ANSI X3.64 virtual terminal
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
TERM=linux

	The LC_TIME variable probably doesn't effect anything but
the formatting of time stamps.

	If I look back to old email configuration files from
several years ago, I see I was trying to filter 8-bit characters
so this is nothing new.  I am presently using Buster however I
have been using debian Linux for about 20 years and what is now
speakup since about 2004 and it is truly a great screen reader.

Martin McCormick