Dual Boot Questions / VirtualBox

Reece O'Bryan reece.obryan at icloud.com
Tue Dec 22 21:01:58 EST 2020

I have a 2020 MacBook Pro with a 2 GHz processor, 16gb of ram and I am debating dual booting it. I Ideally would like to have something similar to the setup I used to have when I still had vision running windows vista and Ubuntu. I’d like to encrypt the entire hard drive with Veracrypt and load at least one distro, most likely Whonix on Debian ((or Tails)) and orca, athen possibly Windows with NVDA; so Mac and Linux, Windows a maybe on a 500GB SSD. Screen reading or orca wise, what potential issues am I looking out for? I Understand that I would need to enter the password to decrypt the hard drive without a screenreader. Is there any way to make the boot loader speak?

Also, has anyone else out there dual-booted on their MacBook with windows or Linux,; can you tell me how much faster the secondary operating system is rather than running it inside of a virtualized environment on OS X in something like VirtualBox? I am debating this having not been able to run my preliminary tests that I want to with these operating systems inside of virtual box. I’m not really wanting windows that badly and the Linux operating system I want does not have an accessible, talking installer and I am still waiting on cited assistance to get these running inside of VirtualBox. Can anyone attest to orca running inside of virtualbox on a MacBook? The only thing I currently have running orca is my RPI4 and it is far too slow for me. If I were to just run a command line version of Linux what is the minimum I would need to make it actually talk and still be functional?

Thank you,

-Reece