Mac terminal - Efficiently using terminal with screenreader

dan d. dandunfee at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 12:01:26 EST 2020

I use voiceover in the mac terminal, even as I write this.  The quality and intelligibility and control of the voices is far superior to
anything one can get with a cconsole screen reader, that is what keeps me from using linux.  alone.

There are a ffew prior selections required, the most imporant is to interact with the terminal; mac users will know what that means.  At that
point one can use the standard voiceover cursor commands to read the screen systematically.  Some, like read screen from the top reqqquires
two commands because one doesn't want the title line reade everytime.  One command goes to the top of the screen, the second goes down one
line and begins reading.  I used a key commander to combine both steps and assigned it to a single key combination.

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020, Zachary Kline wrote:

> Hey,
>
> A few thoughts about the terminal in Mac OS.
>
> There is a screen reader called TDSR, which can be found here on Github <https://github.com/tspivey/tdsr>. It has better Terminal support than VoiceOver, though takes some getting used to.
>
> As far as your mac and a hardware speech synthesizer, using it with a virtual machine is your only option. VoiceOver doesn???t support hardware synths at all. Fortunately, if you use it with a virtual machine, which I???ve done before, it should work fairly well.
>
> That being said, TDSR is worth a look if you???re open to a lighter-weight solution.
> Best,
> Zack.
> > On Dec 17, 2020, at 12:37 PM, Reece O'Bryan <reece.obryan at icloud.com> wrote:
> >
> > Great! Seems to be the same process as connecting a network adapter to a virtual machine.
> > That is a little discouraging I can???t compile on my MacBook. The native terminal doesn???t seem to be accessible. I can???t read the output line by line, only the entire output from top to bottom of the terminal. I could be missing something, I am still quite new to voiceover. Although I have talked with a couple of MacBook users that have used voiceover for quite a few years, they are not familiar with terminal, but still could not figure out how to navigate it easily either. Maybe the hardware synthesizer could help there. (?)
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > -Reece

> >> No.

> >> USB hub connected to my MacBook, then connect a hardware synthesizer
> >> to the cereal.
> >>
> >> Correct.

> >> Yes, that should work, though I haven't done that in a while. You have
> >> to options here. First option is to define a serial port which would
> >> appear in your guest as a physical serial port, and you would set that
> >> up to interface to your USB serial port on the host. The second option
> >> is to dirrectly pass the USB serial adapter through to the guest. The
> >> virtualbox user's manual has more details.
> >>
> >> Greg
> >>

> >> --
> >> web site: http://www.gregn.net
> >> gpg public key: http://www.gregn.net/pubkey.asc
> >> skype: gregn1
> >> (authorization required, add me to your contacts list first)
> >> If we haven't been in touch before, e-mail me before adding me to your contacts.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-manager at EU.org

XB