Efficiently using terminal with screenreader

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Dec 18 06:05:37 EST 2020

Theoretically, I'd say this should work. However, I don't know of
anyone's who's tried this approach, let alone succeeded with it.

I can say that I've run Speakup inside a Mac VMware Linux quite
successfullly in the past as recently as February of 2019.

As I recall I had Orca working inside the vm as well, except that the
Mac return/enter key didn't work for some reason I never figured out.

Is there some particular reason you want a hardware synth for speech in
your Mac vm? I ask because you could perfectly well use espeak, perhaps
even espeak-ng with Speakup in your Linux vm. That's how I was set up
when I had this configuration.

I know of others with similar setups. Some even consider the Mac
graphical desktop with a Speakup driven Linux vm the ultimate combo.

Best,

Janina