Efficiently using terminal with screenreader

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu Dec 17 15:27:33 EST 2020

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 03:00:52PM -0500, Reece O'Bryan wrote:
> Is it possible to compile speak up on my MacBook?

No.

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 03:12:54PM -0500, Reece O'Bryan wrote:
> Just to confirm, I’m going to need a serial adapter to plug in to my
USB hub connected to my MacBook, then connect a hardware synthesizer
to the cereal.

Correct.

> Doing it this way would I be able to use the hardware synthesizer inside of virtualBox running Debian and Speakup? I assume that it should in theory, but if not because of the virtualization, then plan B is doing the exact same thing while booting from something like Ubuntu on the USB.

Yes, that should work, though I haven't done that in a while. You have
to options here. First option is to define a serial port which would
appear in your guest as a physical serial port, and you would set that
up to interface to your USB serial port on the host. The second option
is to dirrectly pass the USB serial adapter through to the guest. The
virtualbox user's manual has more details.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1