8-bit characters in output

Martin McCormick martin.m at suddenlink.net
Wed Dec 16 21:54:56 EST 2020

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:
> That could be useful indeed. Once we have an easy reproducer, it's
> usualy very easy to fix the bug :)
>
> Samuel

Ask and yee shall receive.  It turned out to be far easier to
duplicate the issue than I ever dreamed.  Here is the perl
program I just finished which shows that all characters with bit
7 set trigger the same sounds.  You may have to run the lines
through perltidy if the mailing process mangles them.  Code
starts here and is 17 lines long.  The 1-second sleep slows
things down a bit so you can follow the output more easily.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

sub charmaker {    #
    my $char = 120;

    for ( $char = $char ; $char < 256 ; $char++ ) {    #
        printf( "%d %c\n", $char, $char );
        sleep 1;
    }    #
    return;
}    #

print "First the decimal value then the character itself\n";
charmaker;

exit(0);