DecTalk Settings from Within Speakup?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Apr 16 19:28:13 EDT 2020

Hello,

Chime Hart, le mer. 15 avril 2020 01:57:52 -0700, a ecrit:
> So that command
> echo "[:dv pr 250]" >> /sys/accessibility/speakup/synth_direct
> sets a parameter in the DecTalk which provides more inflection.

Well, yes, but that'll work only until speakup wants to change the pitch
for whatever screen-reader-related reason such as expressing caps etc.

It seems to me that there is a misunderstanding here: this is really
*not* the way you are supposed to configure your hardware synthesis,
that's deemed to be overwritten whenever the core wants to change the
pitch etc.

The *proper* way to configure pitch, volume etc. is to

echo 250 > /sys/accessibility/speakup/dectlk/pitch

So that it's *speakup* which knows the desired parameter and tell the
hardware as well, and not only let the hardware know about it. Same for
volume etc.

Of course such live configuration gets lost at reboot. That's why there
is speakupconf, which allows to save your preferred parameters, and you
can get it called at boot to restore your parameters.

I thought this was documented and well-known, but apparently not. Can
somebody work on getting this properly known, to make sure people don't
fall in that trap?

Samuel