DecTalk Settings from Within Speakup?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Tue Apr 14 23:48:41 EDT 2020

Have you tried running

speakupconf load

as root to bring your dectalk back to normal? I think that would be
simpler than unloading and reloading the module again. Do you set your
speech defaults through speakup, or somehow on the dectalk itself? If
you don't set your speech defaults through speakup, then what is
almost certainly happening is that speakup is reinitializing the
dectalk with its own settings. Even if you are setting your speech
parameters through speakup and this is still happening, you could
still run speakupconf load in a cron job every few minutes, and that
would keep bringing your dectalk back to normal without your
intervention, and without losing speakup by unloading and reloading the
module.

BTW, I think most speakup users are not programmers.

Greg

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 06:39:40PM -0700, Chime Hart wrote:
> For maybe 16years since I purchased a DecTalk U S B, many of you know I
> experience frustrations many times a day as the pitch, volume, and rate drop
> suddenly. Well, a couple of months ago, 1 of my Linux experts had an e-mail
> exchange with Kirk, who mentioned something about defalt settings. Well, I
> looked in a copy of speakup_dectlk.c, was able to see where the rate says
> 180, meanwhile we set it at 229. Or the volume which I think says 60 when we
> set at 86. Those are just 2 examples. Only by jussling those insert
> functions to alter volume or pitch will put them back after a sudden drop.
> Some time ago we created an alias to reload this dectalk when it gets hozed.
> /usr/bin/sudo /sbin/modprobe  -r speakup_dectlk; /usr/bin/sudo
> /sbin/modprobe speakup_dectlk; sudo cp /usr/local/bin/characters
> /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/
> However, even altering some of those values, I would also need to know what
> replacement to send dectalk so it might `always respect my changes.
> I guess David in Canada was the last person who modified these drivers. I
> will be quite honest, each time I see Okash post, I become hopeful. But now
> with some amunision from Kirk, I hope among the movers-and-shakers,
> maybesome sort of fix or even better a real U S B driver can be created.
> I realize, I am only a user-and-not a programmer, but if I were to guess,
> most Speakup users are programmers. Anyway, thanks in advance, whatever any
> of you can do. I had even considered sending Kirk an audio file
> demonstrating these issues, but I haven't yet patched out of an ear-phone
> jack to a recorder.
> Chime

web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1