help fixing speakup hang problem w smp kernels

Kelly Prescott kprescott at coolip.net
Sun Sep 8 10:21:49 EDT 2019

I will start with the disclaimer that I know a little C, but I am by no
means a kernel developer nor any other kind of developer.
I do it for fun or on small projects I need for myself.

I have noticed that now that ArchLinux has moved to the Linux 5.x series,
my system seems to hang with speakup much more than it ever did before.
I do not get the frequent hangs on my Ubuntu 16,4 and 18.4 systems.
I get them, just not as frequently.
I now have 3 archlinux machines, 2 laptops and one desktop where I can
make the machine hang with in 5 minutes of trying.
I do this by making sure the machine is busy doing something, network
activity, logging etc. Then I opena large file and review the screen with
Speakup making my keystrokes faster and faster until the machine hangs.
It is also interesting that in my desktop machine when I installed a
4-port network card, the hangs became so bad I had to take it out.
When I ran the machine without speakup, they went away, so It was not the
network card.

Like I said, I can now reliably produce a hang.
I know I am not qualified to fix it, but I would like to offer my
assistance in providing dumps to assist others in helping find the
problem.'

I am going to try to get the dumps logged to a serial console and then
saved to files.
With that said, What information do I need to provide to make this
meaningful.
What I would like is some instruction and pointers so I can accurately
help and not just put out useless noise.

As we move toward taking the kernel out of staging, I think we need to fix
this as it results in a total hang of the machine.

I am willing to grant machine access, make and send crash information, run
tests, or anything else I can do to help get this resolved.

If someone will reply with what needs to be done from my side, I would be
happy to get started.

Thanks.

-- Kelly Prescott