Dealing with Slow Input

Martin McCormick martin.m at suddenlink.net
Wed Oct 9 17:29:11 EDT 2019

	The last time I dealt with something like this was about
ten years ago and I have forgotten much about it plus things may
have changed.

	I am receiving serial input from a device that reads the
parallel port and converts that output to serial.  The highest
speed that is possible out of that device is 37400  which sounds
a bit odd in speakup because it may be trying to say words before
they are fully formed.  In anyway, you have to get up to 115200
baud before things sound truly normal but I remember a value that
one can set which makes the timer between characters not time out
as quickly.  It is useful in situations like this where the data
are not coming as fast as one might like.

	When not using this device and running normally, this
timer must be set back to what it was or speakup gets a bit
sluggish.

	Can someone please remind me what this variable is so I
can slow things down again?

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick