Speakup in Linux Open Source Summit

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Sat Mar 30 12:27:24 EDT 2019

I am reading this from a media professional and presentational   standpoint.
There were ISO cards that crated extra serial ports, and there were ISO
cards that  provided speech.  Those might not have been the same thing.
Further  I believe Samuel means the serial port was virtual, from a
programming  point of view, not necessarily a physical port correct?
Additionally, will the talk  also address some of speakups weaknesses?
that unlike many screen readers  common over time, speakup requires
the user to remove their hands from the main keyboard to operate?
Additionally that drivers for popular synthesizers existing in other
programs, the reading edge for example, were never created?
Lastly, the is not it awesome! approach regarding how the program was
started  by programmers who happened to be blind sort of screams
generalized stereotype.
I mean there are  Astor physicists who happen to experience blindness, but
not all those experiencing blindness are or even can be astrophysicists.
Talking about the people behind this program as if they are  a generalized
whole does not teach your audience much.
Kare