Espeakup and Speech-Dispatcher-git--Fighting again?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Mar 24 05:25:23 EDT 2019

Good Morning, Didier:

I'm attaching my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf which works, except that I
seem to have some kind of error in the vendor or product ID for the
Steinberg UR22mkII, which is why it's commented out for now. This config
actually does reliably load each of my audio devices usefully, most of
the time anyway.

*	Espeakup is started by a systemctl enabled on boot

*	Speech-Dispatcher is started by hand with a startx after I'm
*	confident hw:0 is correctly assigned. Sometimes on boot, it's
*	missed entirely and the above devices are scrambled. That
*	requires a reboot to get them correctly ordered.

I have the Sennheiser headset set as alsa device in /etc/asound.conf for
the benefit of linphonec, which has started working again, though it seg
faults if I try to answer an incoming call.

The HDSP device has had driver issues off and on in the past few years.
It's a 20-year old high end audio device. I have the first generation
RME Multiface card. The Steinberg UR22mkII is arguably its peer, though
it doesn't provide the same array of inputs and outputs, most regretably
no s/pdif.

In any case, just to review, the problem of the moment is that doing the
startx to get the graphical desktop up with Orca sometimes kills all of
espeakup, and a restart puts espeakup on hw:2--making hw:2 unavailable
for linphonec which I use for teleconferences.

So, sometimes the system can boot without discovering its builtin,
onboard Intel HDA hardware. That's annoying because I seem unable to fix
it without a reboot.

And most recently, about half the time, startx is killing espeakup and a
restart of espeakup goes to the wrong card.

Sounds to me like espeakup needs to expose more capabilities--like Slink
does! <grin>

Didier, I want to thank you for providing the pulse to alsa translation,
i.e. pulse's sink equals alsa's pcm. It's a little tricky to intuit such
things sometimes.

Best,

Janina

--