clarification? speakup and doubletalk serial

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Sun Mar 17 00:36:12 EDT 2019

I stand to be corrected, but stretch comes with a 4.9.x kernel. The
new serial code in speakup wasn't introduced until the 4.13.x
kernel. So, unless the kernel in stretch has been patched with the new
serial code in speakup (which it probably hasn't), a serial synth
probably wouldn't work.

The backports for stretch do include a 4.19.x version of the
kernel. So, if you want to play with enabling backports, and
installing the kernel from there, a serial synth like the doubletalk
lt should work.

Greg

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 09:13:26PM -0700, Tom Fowle wrote:
> I would much appreciate clarification in simple terms about using speakup on
> latest Debian or Devuan with a serial doubletalk.
>
> If I upgrade to stretch from current jessie and allow the kernel to upgrade
> will I get a system which will run speakup with a doubletalk serial (LT)
> without having to add modules or take any other unusual steps during the
> upgrade.
>
> Of course I understand I'd have to invoke the correct doubletalk module
> during the install.
>
> I am under the impression that serial drivers are still not "stable"
> and are not included with a standard installed version of speakup.
>
> If I've got that wrong then I'll dig out my LT and perhaps be able to give
> up on the ISA card.
>

> Thanks
> Tom Fowle

web site: http://www.gregn.net