speakup and garbled text

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Sat Mar 16 06:51:31 EDT 2019

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Again, neither nor I are speakup users and don't know how "garbled" the
> text is, so we need precise descriptions.

Speakup can be used to review text on the screen with the keyboard
shortcuts, or it can auto-read whatever text is produced by the
application.  This garbled text bug just affects auto-read.  You can see
it by starting up Speakup and listening as text is auto-read by the
synth.  Maybe try cat-ing a large file or the like.  I believe the
garbling to be caused by missing characters.

At least at one time, disabling SMP would make it go away completely.  I
haven't tried that in years because I need my cores.  I think it's a
concurrency bug.

-- Chris