no sound except speakup

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jun 5 09:29:17 EDT 2019

I am running a debian buster machine in character mode. Speakup with
software speech works fine but I can't get any other sound. When I use
aplay to play a wav file, it prints the data indicating that it is
playing the file but there is no sound. The same with espeak and spd-say
at the command line. No error messages are displayed but there is no
sound. I would think it was a volume problem except I can hear speakup.
The sound card controls have volume settings, they are not user
settings, right?

--
John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; 608-263-4189