[HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Thu Jul 25 00:04:07 EDT 2019

Gregory Nowak <greg at gregn.net> writes:

> keymap
> I believe this is the currently active kernel keymap. I'm not sure of
> the format, probably what dumpkeys(1) and showkey(1) use. Echoing
> different values here should allow for remapping speakup's review
> commands besides remapping the keyboard as a whole.

AFAIK the Speakup keymap is just for remapping keys to Speakup
functions.  It's a binary format, not related to dumpkeys etc.  You need
a special program to compile a textual keymap into something that can be
loaded into /sys/accessibility/speakup/keymap.  I may have source for
that lying around here somewhere.  This is "here there be dragons"
territory.  I think the only specification of the format is in the
source code.

-- Chris