Speechd-up?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Tue Jan 29 23:54:10 EST 2019

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 08:17:03PM -0500, Jayson Smith wrote:
> 1. It loads at boot time, then before the login prompt I get an error
> message with a whole ton of numbers, something about firmware failing to
> load. I'm not quite sure where or if it's logged or I'd paste it. Then, Mate
> loads but doesn't have speech, although virtual consoles do.

The firmware issue doesn't sound like it's speakup related. You may be
able to find that output in dmesg(1). Do you mean you don't have
speech on the login screen, or once you login?

> 2. When I'm using Speakup through Speechd-up, it defaults to a speech rate
> waaaaaaaay too slow for my taste, even though I've set a reasonable rate in
> my Speech Dispatcher configuration. Is there a way to set Speakup's default
> rate, pitch, etc? Even if there is, it seems that rate 5 is a bit too slow,
> and rate 6 is a bit too fast. I wish it would not even touch the settings of
> the synth, and just let Speech Dispatcher do its job.

If you don't have it already installed, install the speakup-tools
package. Use speakupconf save to save the speakup parameters once
you've set them like you want. Then, use speakupconf load to load them
at some time during boot. I do this in /etc/rc.local, though this is
very late in the boot process. Yes, that means I ran speakupconf save
as root.

> Also comma, for some reason far too many punctuation marks are being read
> comma, even though Speakup's punctuation level is set to Some dot. This is
> really annoying exclamation point! Is there a fix question mark? The
> punctuation level in Speech Dispatcher's configuration is set to None dot.
> It even speaks annoying punctuations after Speakup messages such as Left
> comma, Right comma, Top comma, and Bottom dot.

As far as I know, speechd-up hasn't been worked on in many years. So,
there's no fix, unless someone decides to start working on it
again. At this point, I think the only options are get used to it, or
don't use speechd-up, though I'd love to be proven wrong here.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1