Talking Debian install?

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Sun Jan 27 02:21:09 EST 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to repurpose an old Windows 7 box as a Linux box to replace
my ancient and hopelessly out of date Gentoo system. I downloaded a
Debian Netinstall image, burned it to a CD, booted it, hit s at the boot
screen, did the install, rebooted, and…the freshly-installed system
didn't come up talking. I know it's running because I installed an SSH
server and I can SSH into it. Apparently Espeakup isn't running for some
reason. Below are the errors being logged, but I'm so new to the way
Debian does accessibility, and using software speech on Linux, that I
have no idea what these mean or how to fix them. I chose Debian because
I have a VPS running Debian so I'm used to it. Errors pasted below.

Jayson

Jan 27 01:43:47 Virgil systemd[1]:
[/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12] Executable path is not
absolute, ignoring: sh -c 'modprobe speakup_soft && /usr/bin/espeakup -V
${VOICE}'
Jan 27 01:43:47 Virgil systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both
ExecStart= and ExecStop= setting. Refusing.
Jan 27 01:43:47 Virgil systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Cannot add
dependency job, ignoring: Invalid argument
Jan 27 01:52:23 Virgil systemd[1]:
[/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12] Executable path is not
absolute, ignoring: sh -c 'modprobe speakup_soft && /usr/bin/espeakup -V
${VOICE}'
Jan 27 01:52:23 Virgil systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both
ExecStart= and ExecStop= setting. Refusing.
Jan 27 01:52:23 Virgil systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Cannot add
dependency job, ignoring: Invalid argument