sam Friday night update

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Apr 13 08:24:09 EDT 2019

Hi, Willem:

I hesitate to suggest the obvious, but sometimes the obvious does need
to be stated.

Have you considered simply copying relevant code from alsamixer? I refer
to the suggestion of using up/down arrow to adjust volume as a real time
control that immediately adjusts the volume, and does not require
pressing enter. alsamixer also uses m as a mute/unmute toggle.

Unfortunately, I have never found alsamixer all that accessible from the
perspective of knowing which control had current focus, let alone
current values. So, I gave up on it a long time ago and have always just
used amixer instead. amixer may be cumbersome, but combined with grep
it' works, and there are no accessibility issues.

I have also figured out to test inserting and removing usb cards. I
simply have to find a couple and try them on the Arch installed on my
Macbook. Unfortunately, yesterday's system upgrade seems to have
rendered the Macbook unbootable, so complications will slow that down.

Best,

Janina