Speech-friendly alsa mixer (sam) released, testers needed

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Wed Apr 10 16:41:36 EDT 2019

Howdy Willem,

I tried SAM. It works and is amazingly small, but the voice is horrible.

So and although the binary be named sam, I do not object that you
call sam this Simple Alsa Mixer. I am not entitled to object anyway <smile>

Also it is highly unlikely that you be sued for using the same name
as is is supposed to be Abandonware.

I also found a forked GitHub with some more recent commits for SAM:
https://github.com/vidarh/SAM but am too lazy to try it.

Sorry for the digression, back to the topic.

I have tried sam in qemu with 3 sound cards

It first lets me choose which one to set up, as expected.

However my tests are otherwise inconclusive, as increasing
or decreasing the volume had no effect; even if I change the
card in use by espeaup typing ALSA_CARD=<somecard> espeakup.

@Janina: it would be interesting to know your findings with
real hardware.

Other than that:  if I increase the volume to 100% and
press Enter again the volume stays @ 100% but I hear nothing.

That's not an issue for me (I am sighted) but could confuse
a blind user, I assume. Maybe play a sound or say a warning
in this case like "already 100%" in this case?

Best,

Didier

PS I just read Chime an Jude's answers before posting.