An espeak question

Martin McCormick martin.m at suddenlink.net
Tue Apr 2 09:06:54 EDT 2019

The older PC's I have for Linux are great and now speakup works
as it should so I have a new question.

	When the espeak engine is not processing text to speech,
is the sound device, usually card 0, really free to use for
normal sound activities?

	It seems to be but sometimes, the law of unintended
consequences rules.

	These systems do not handle multiple sound streams at all
so if something has control of the sound device, espeak stops
talking and if espeak is talking, playing and sometimes recording
with that device fails.

	I did try pulseaudio more than once as it is supposed to
give the effect of handling multiple streams but either I didn't
install it correctly or there was some other issue because I
never got it to work right.

Martin