Speakup in Linux Open Source Summit

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Tue Apr 2 01:40:56 EDT 2019

Gregory Nowak <greg at gregn.net> writes:

> Yes, this jogs my memory, and matches what I remember. As far as I
> recall, all the other images before that time which included speakup
> were specially made, and hosted on linux-speakup.org, or
> speakupmodified.org in the case of redhat/fedora. Incidentally, I do
> believe slackware 8 was the first distribution to officially include speakup.

In the Slackware 7.x days, I pulled my boot disk and root disk floppy
images from the linux-speakup.org ftp site.

There was also a thing called zipspeak, which ran a full talking Linux
environment under MSDOS.  It was Slackware-based.  This was how I
bootstrapped: running zipspeak for a month or so to learn the ropes, and
then installing Slackware with the Speakup-enabled floppies and a set of
Slackware CDs I ordered from Walnut Creek / BSDI.

-- Chris