Speakup History

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Apr 1 05:40:57 EDT 2019

Kirk Reiser writes:
> p.s. I believe we've just passed the 20th anniversary of my first releasees of speakup.

Hmmm, that late? I seem to recall trying to install speakup while I was still
living in Manhattan, but perhaps that was prelease code? I'm confident
this list was active for quite some time while I was still living in
Manhattan.

I say it that way because I know I moved to the Washington, DC area at
the end of January 1999.

Come to think of it, though, my first really functioning Speakup machine
was a dual boot box which wouldn't initially boot Linux because I had failed to
correctly configure the scsi device driver during the kernel config. As
I recall, I gave Bill Acker and Frank Carmickle ssh access to the box
after reading them the onscreen messages using Speakup and let them fix things. Took them less than an hour.

Best,

Janina