No speech after loading speakup_ltlk

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 2 09:39:46 EDT 2018

Yeah, I thunk of that after I posted my original message. I upgraded to
buster/testing and now I get speech. This is going to be a server and I
am a little leery of running testing on a server. I am thinking about
doing another install of stretch and configuring backports, assuming
that still exists.

I used to run testing on servers all the time. One huge advantage is
that debian testing is essentially a rolling release so you never have
to do a version upgrade. When I ran debian testing in the past, I never
had a problem. That was a long time ago and I don't know. Linux is
different these days. It's way more complicated and significant bugs
even get into stable versions.