getting orca and espeakup/speakup to work together

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Nov 21 09:24:30 EST 2018

Well, another way to get similar results is to launch the gui by hand,
not via systemd. Long live startx.

The more things you start automagically, the more things there are that
can, and eventually will go awry. Why ask for more trouble? The
brilliance of Speakup is that it can be available to work even when the
boot fails. But, if you're starting the gui automatically, and it fails,
you have much less recourse.

Years ago I discovered the wisdom of this approach. I'd plug my laptop
into some hotel's ethernet, only to have my boot fail over some gui
based message about accessing their network. I discovered I could put
myself back in control by booting to a console login and then dealing
with bringing up the network.

Janina