getting orca and espeakup/speakup to work together

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Nov 21 09:12:07 EST 2018

Hi, Samuel:

Samuel Thibault writes:
> Janina Sajka, le mar. 20 nov. 2018 10:31:03 -0500, a ecrit:
> > Pulseaudio is supposed to eliminate this problem,
>
> If espeakup was running as the same user as the one who is logged in,
> yes. But it'd mean you wouldn't have screen reading before logging in.

I suppose I could try launching espeakup as my ordinary user, but I'm
loathe to go through the hassle of putting pulseaudio back on this box
just to test something. It's a pernicious app that can be hard to get
rid of, and I never found it did anything useful for me on those
occasions when I did have it working.

Nowadays I'm rather starting espeakup via systemd.

On those occasions when my system doesn't come up talking, I assume I'm
being asked for root password to perform system maintanance.
Fortunately, I still get a beep on backspace to confirm this once I give
the root passwd. At that point I can:

modprobe speakup_soft; espeakup

After dealing with the problem, usually an e2fsck as I have a failing
drive, a ctrl-d takes me to login.

In this situation, I guess espeakup is running as root?

> > Under alsa both espeakup and speech-dispatcher are likely unable to
> > share the same hardware device.
>
> Indeed, unless enabling the dmix plugin.

Even then I have had mixed results. Occasionally, it has worked for me,
but not always. Most importantly, it doesn't seem to continue
functioning as time goes on and regular package updates across the
system are applied.

> Using different sound boards is another solution indeed.

The benefit of this approach is that you can rely on it. You can take it
to the bank.

Frankly, I think those of us who rely on Speakup should be more careful
buying new hardware. I know I will ask more questions before my next
laptop or main board purchase. I will want to know more about the
builtin audio device.

It was a revelation to me on my old Thinkpad to see two analog devices
available on hw:0. That was the neatest solution yet. Unfortunately, I
used that machine for years having never looked at that detail.

Janina