getting orca and espeakup/speakup to work together

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Nov 20 10:31:03 EST 2018

Pulseaudio is supposed to eliminate this problem, but I've never been
able to rely on pulseaudio working for me.

Under alsa both espeakup and speech-dispatcher are likely unable to
share the same hardware device. This is usually the case for me,
requiring I send the output of each to a different device.

Check carefully with a command like:

aplay -l |grep card

You're looking for cards that are labeled "analog."

On one of my laptops I have both hw:0,0 and hw0,2 labeled analog. I
simply set speech-dispatcher to use hw:0,2 in
/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf and all works as expected.

Janina