getting orca and espeakup/speakup to work together

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 19 15:19:39 EST 2018

What is the trick to getting speakup with software speech and orca to
work at the same time. I have both debian stretch and ubuntu bionic
systems and on both machines, I have to disable espeakup to get orca to
work. If I disable espeakup via the command, "systemctl disable
espeakup" and reboot, orca works as normal. If I re-enable espeakup via,
"systemctl enable espeakup", then I get no speech on the login screen or
after I log in. After I log in, even playing sounds via aplay does not work.

I have a vague memory of having to recompile espeakup or something to
get that to work.

John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org