Speakup While Booting?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu Jun 7 13:50:31 EDT 2018

The speakup module not being signed and therefore tainting the
kernel does not at all look normal. If your running kernel was
installed from debian repositories, you shouldn't be getting that
message. Jewd, the kernel module itself isn't signed, package
verification doesn't have anything to do with that, unless there was an
error during kernel installation saying the package couldn't be
verified, and asking if installation should proceed. Chime, whatever
pitch issues you are having will most likely not be solved by
upgrading to a newer kernel. For that to happen, someone who knows
kernel and speakup internals would need to sit down with a dectalk
unit, figure out what's causing the problems you're seeing, and make
the necessary fixes in the code. I'm not a kernel programmer at the
moment, so that someone wouldn't be me.

Greg

On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 09:38:56PM -0700, Chime Hart wrote:
> Thanks Greg: As I remember you don't have a DecTalk, but is what I pasted in
> from boot look normal? I am still trying to hunt down these pitch, volume,
> and rate drops which seem to begin just after I hear the DecTalk say
> "command error in command" as Speakup loads. Then along the way while
> arrowing in review, these drops happen. Thanks in advance
> Chime

web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1