Help with running Speakup on Kali Linux

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Jan 31 10:11:10 EST 2018

OK. This isn't bad, actually.

You do have Speakup. That's good.

Your kernel is a bit old, and that could matter especially vis a vis the
recently published Intel exploits which has most of us trying to keep
our kernels very up to date. My arch is currently on 4.14.15, installed
yesterday.

Forget voxin. If you get it and it works, great. But it's ancient code
relying on ancient C++ libraries. Best to focus on espeak.

And, for espeak, see if you have the command:

spd-say

You should be able to hear output from a command like:

spd-say "hello world"

If that works, your next step is to get espeakup installed and wired in.
This is the connector between espeak and Speakup. It's not the same as
how Orca TTS support is wired in.

hth

Janina

PS: Still prefer arch, but you might be almost there with Kali after
all.

Janina