Help with running Speakup on Kali Linux

Don Raikes DON.RAIKES at ORACLE.COM
Tue Jan 30 11:00:16 EST 2018

Tim,

A lot of kali's tools need to be run from the GUI, My personal preference is to use the mate desktop but that is because I got started in Linux under the old gnome 2 interface and haven't gotten used to the new unity/gnome3 interface.

Unfortunately when I installed kali into a vm I couldn't get mate with orca to work, so I am trying to debug that problem.
-----Original Message-----
From: Timothy Breitenfeldt [mailto:timothyjb310 at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:23 AM
To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux. <speakup at linux-speakup.org>
Subject: Re: Help with running Speakup on Kali Linux

Hi, my apologies for not being clear in my last post. I am using Kali because I want to learn about the security tools Kali has. I will keep in mind that arch is a better option for this though.

The output of
locate speakup.ko

/lib/modules/4.12.0-kali1-amd66/kernel/drivers/staging/speakup /speakup.ko

For now, I am just looking to get eSpeak working on it, my goal is to install voxin, which is what I am using for orca right now.
Kali does have built in support for a talking installer using speakup.
I believe Kali is very similar to Debian, if that helps at all.

TJ Breitenfeldt