cannot load speakup_decext module

Rudy Vener salt at panix.com
Wed Feb 14 13:44:48 EST 2018

Hi all,

I     am trying to use my Dectalk external (old) with my Vinux speakup system.
Hoever, executing
modprobe speakup_decext ser=0
results in:
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'speakup_decext': No such device

At this point speakup stops talking, the /speakup/synth file               contains "none"
and the speakup var system does not contain a decext subdirectory,
and changing the synth file to contain decext does not work.

So, at that point, I reboot to resurrect speakup using espeak.

At the moment, my Dectalk is       connected to the /dev/ttyS0 port,    and it speaks
any text I write to the port. But this is no substitute for it working
with speakup.

Executing modinfo speakup_decext
returns:
filename:       /lib/modules/4.4.0-36-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_decext.ko
version:        2.14
license:        GPL
author:         David Borowski
author:         Kirk Reiser <kirk at braille.uwo.ca>
srcversion:     46ED8AA54EDEE108A987806
depends:        speakup
staging:        Y
intree:         Y
vermagic:       4.4.0-36-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 686
parm:           ser:Set the serial port for the synthesizer (0-based). (int)
parm:           start:Start the synthesizer once it is loaded. (short)

Also, executing  modprobe speakup_decext ser=0 returns the same no such device error message.

Executing modprobe -n -v speakup_decext returns:
insmod /lib/modules/4.4.0-36-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_decext.ko

Executing:
modprobe speakup_decext ser=0 start=1
gives me the same results, silence and I need to reboot.

Any suggestions how to get the decext  module to load?
Thanks.
Rudy
--
Rudy Vener