Debian Stretch and speakup Aren't Playing Nicely.

Martin McCormick martin.m at suddenlink.net
Tue Dec 18 21:41:03 EST 2018

After upgrading 2 Debian systems to stretch, speakup has died on
both systems.  The systems are still very much alive and accept
remote logins via ssh.

	Sometimes, I am the last person to get wise to big
changes and something appears to have changed in the way that
services are started under stretch.

	This is what prints out on both systems after apt-get
upgrade regarding speakup.  Can I fix this and how do I do it and
create the least amount of damage as both systems seem to
otherwise be okay.

After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up espeakup (1:0.80-5+deb9u2) ...
update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling ba
ck to defaults
Failed to start espeakup.service: Unit espeakup.service is not loaded properly:
Invalid argument.
See system logs and 'systemctl status espeakup.service' for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript espeakup, action "start" failed.
Ï espeakup.service - Software speech output for Speakup
   Loaded: error (Reason: Invalid argument)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:espeakup(8)

Dec 15 14:09:18 wb5agz systemd[1]: [/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12&CE}'
Dec 15 14:09:18 wb5agz systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both Exe&ing.
Dec 15 14:09:19 wb5agz systemd[1]: [/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12&CE}'
Dec 15 14:09:19 wb5agz systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both Exe&ing.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
dpkg: error processing package espeakup (--configure):
 espeakup

	I had built both systems from a stretch install iso image
and they both talked through the installation but the problems
appeared to start after a few upgrades as in

apt-get update;aptget -upgrade

Thanks for any and all constructive ideas.

Martin McCormick